Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Echo at the Caestecker Gallery

My current exhibition is up at Ripon College in Ripon, WI at the Caestecker Gallery.  The show consists of 4 installation groups and deals with the theme of memory and states of being.  Below is a link to the review in the Appleton, Post Crescent.



February 1 through March 1, 2013GALLERY HOURS:
Tue – Fri: 1-5 p.m. & 7 – 9 p.m.
Sat – Sun: 2 to 6 p.m. and during evening performances

In this piece, Artifact, I wanted to play with objects as metaphors in a way that got them off the wall so that the light and shadows become part of the piece.  The wooden parts are made from broken apart furniture and scrap wood.  I like how the piece has a sense of movement as ceramic 'drawings' of ordinary objects come to life.

Artifact, porcelain, wood, flocking


Artifact, Detail

Landscape Memory is something I started working on with my husband, Craig.  I wanted to get the images off the wall and onto the floor in a way that surrounded the viewer.  The drawings are the intrusion of the man made and industrial world.  These are drawn from the industrial buildings and forms down by the river where I walk.
Landscape Memory,  ceramic, wood, bricks and pen and paper drawings

Landscape Memory



Echo Mississippi is a wall installation in progress.  Found figurines, ceramic birds and their hand sculpted porcelain replicas sit on shelves.  Some of the birds chirp when you approach as a homage to the bird song in the Mississippi, but not as good.  The piece is about how we mediate the world through objects.  The birds are a primary memory for me about a place, but how to we filter that as time goes by and how to the objects we surround ourselves with act as metaphors and markers for memory.


Echo Mississippi, porcelain, found objects
Echo Mississippi, detail

Echo Mississippi, detail
Right now these are the best images I have, but I am going to post some better ones on my site, www.debbiekupinsky.com once I reshoot.  This last wall installation is called the Clock Cycle.  The figures and approach to color are symbolic for how we transform at different times in our lives. 
Clock Cycle , porcelain, flocking

Clock Cycle 2, porcelain, flocking

Clock Cycle 3, stoneware, flocking

 I promise better images soon.  This has been a busy month needless to say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment